How to Unlock Bootloader on Any Xiaomi Devices using MI
The bootloader is a software program through which you can boot the programs when you start a device. It also helps the device to boot safely when it is in recovery mode. But smartphone manufacturers lock this feature in the devices. Hence, this is no different in Xiaomi smartphones also. But before diving into instructions leading to unlock the bootloader, we need to discuss some of its advantages and disadvantages.
Since Xiaomi devices have a lot of pre-installed apps, so many people don’t like these in-built features and apps. This is the reason that Xiaomi has only a few users. So, you can use a custom ROM or even you can try out a few other adjustments to it. For this purpose, you need to unlock the bootloader in your Xiaomi smartphone.
How to Unlock the Bootloader?
You need to prepare your device before you start the unlocking process. Please follow the below instruction carefully to prepare your device:
At first, you need to create a backup for your device. This is compulsory, as unlocking will erase all the data from your smartphone.
The last stage would require you to install the Mi Unlock Tool on your computer. This is to unlock the bootloader in your Xiaomi device.
That’s all. You can now start the unlocking process step by step. You need to follow the instructions one by one to make it a complete success. The below screenshot is also provided to understand the process easily.
STEP 1: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
To start the process, you need to enable USB debugging and OEM unlocking. The latter will help to recognize your device into your computer in ADB mode. It will also enable you to unlock the device’s bootloader.
- Navigate to Settings on your device
- Click About Phone and press the MIUI version seven times.
- Return to Settings and press the Additional Settings System option.
- Then, go to Developer Options, and then you need to enable both the USB Debugging and OEM Unlock menus. (Refer to the picture above)
STEP 2: Link your Account to Xiaomi Device
Now you need to link your Mi Account with your Xiaomi device. You should have a Mi Account for this purpose. If you do not have one, then register and create a Mi Account for yourself right now. After this, just follow the below instructions.
- Navigate to the Settings page on your smartphone.
- Go to Additional Settings, then locate Developer options.
- There you will find the Mi Unlock Status menu, press it.
- You need to tap on the Add account and device buttons. This menu you will find below and then just follow the instructions on your screen. One thing you should keep in mind that you need to enter the phone number you are using on your device currently.
- After the successful completion of this binding, your device will pop up a message as “Added successfully. You have successfully linked your Mi Account with your system now.
When all this is completed, you can now move ahead and start unlocking the bootloader on your Xiaomi device.
Step 3: Booting Xiaomi Device into Fastboot
- You need to boot your device to Fastboot Mode:
- You need to establish a connection between your computer and your device through a USB. Check Debugging is enabled or not.
- Go to the platform-tools folder on your computer. Then you need to type in CMD in its address bar, and press Enter. This will bring up your Command Prompt menu box.
- Then type the below command as shown in the picture. This will take you to boot your system into Fastboot Mode:
- When you have successfully crossed the above stages, you can now see the famous Mi Bunny logo that contains the Fastboot text. You can now use your Mi Unlock Tool. You will see that the bootloader in your device is unlocked.
STEP 4: Unlock Xiaomi Bootloader using Mi Flash Tool
- Navigate to Mi Unlock Tool on your computer to launch the software. Check your device connected to your computer along with the Fastboot Mode.
- Now you need to sign in with your profile details. It will showcase whether or not your device is connected to a Mi account or not. As you have already linked your account, you will probably see a message on your screen as Phone Connected on the tool.
- Therefore, move ahead and you need to click on the Unlock button. You will receive a confirmation message. Then click on the Unlock anyway button. At this juncture, this unlocking process will erase all your data from your device. You need to have complete surety about backing up your data beforehand.
The unlocking will start soon and it will take a couple of minutes. After a few minutes, you will receive a message that reads Unlocked Success message. Then, you need to press the reboot button of your device to make the changes.